Summary of changes for female genital swab testing, beginning this coming Monday 25th July.
The aim of this intervention is to improve the quality of testing on female genital swabs.
- All female genital swabs will require clinical details to guide which tests are required. If it is unclear which tests are required on a specimen, a report will be issued and clinical details can be added via email or phone for 48 hours (see details below).
- BV and candidiasis will be diagnosed by Gram stain only (gold standard).
- Trichomonas will be tested by PCR on request only. (This will need to be specifically requested).
- Full culture will be provided in a limited number of circumstances if appropriate details are provided (please see communication on 15 July 2022).
- A revised swab guide has been loaded to our website here.
We thank you for your patience. Clinical details can be sent to the lab via email@example.com (please note the change from the last communication), or directly phoned through to the lab on (03) 359 0957.